Thursday, April 26, 2012

Chicken Satay with Sweet & Spicy Cole Slaw

Y'all - this was so good. MAKE IT. Tonight!



I took 2 chicken breasts and cut them up (while raw) into cubes about this size. Then I lightly doused them in Bragg Liquid Aminos put the pieces in a pan with a little olive oil and a little coconut oil (for flavor). The best thing about cooking chicken this way is time - it easily cuts your time in half.


While the chicken sauteed, I made the sauce as well as the cole slaw.

The recipe for the sauce was adapted from HERE.  I used my regular Liquid Aminos instead of coconut aminos. Note: this is derived from soy but is FAR better than soy sauce. You can read about the product here.

Sunflower Sauce (I halved this recipe for just the 2 chicken breasts): 

1/2 Cup Sunflower seed butter 
1 Cup coconut milk 
Juice of 1 lime or 2 Tbsp lime juice 
2 Tbsp Coconut Aminos (I used Bragg Liquid Aminos) 
1 Tsp Freshly ground ginger 
2 Garlic cloves chopped 
1/2 Tsp Red Pepper Flakes 
Combine all ingredients. 

Sweet & Spicy Cole Slaw: 
Note: I used the pre-shredded container of cabbage/carrots from Whole Foods. I highly recommend doing this.
3 cups shredded cabbage 
2 carrots - shredded
2 Tbsp yellow mustard 
3 - 4 Tbsp raw honey
1 - 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar 
1 pinch of cayenne pepper (leave this out if serving kids) 
salt and pepper to taste
Combine all ingredients. 

The sunflower sauce is like peanut sauce you'd get at an Asian restaurant. When the chicken was cooked through, I poured it straight into the pan with the chicken to warm it a little.

The slaw is so light and has a kick to it. I love that you can still have cole slaw without having to use mayo (the honey acts as a binding agent).  



This entire meal took 15 minutes! Gotta love that. Happy Eating Friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment