Monday, June 4, 2012

Another Hijacking :)

Hey readers, Jody, here! Yep, I hijacked Alyssa's blog again, but I have a good reason...
 AVOCADO STUFFED HAMBURGERS

The other day I was craving sun-dried tomatoes.  The only way I ever have them is on chicken breast with goat cheese from Salt Grass Steakhouse. (sad right?!) So, I started searching for another recipe that would use sun dried tomatoes.  I found this one and HAD to try it...

A: I am a freak about anything avocado and B: It had the sun dried tomatoes...score!

I made a few "tweaks" to the recipe in normal Jody fashion, can't follow all the rules, but try to stay close enough to stay out of trouble ;) For me, breaking the recipe slightly was a WIN.  I didn't have any bacon fat to drizzle over the top so I used goat cheese crumbles as my topping. Silver Goat Chev re Cheese is my favorite brand. My sun dried tomatoes were packaged in oil.. but I washed them with H20, dried with a paper towel then chopped into fine pieces.  Mashed up with avocado and lemon juice from a fresh lemon. TASTY!  When I was chopping the tomatoes my mouth was watering.. the smell delish and meaty almost.  I made the patties really thin put as much stuffing as I could possibly fit then smashed the other patty on top.  I used my indoor grill pan and cooked the burgers on medium heat for 5 minutes a side (my huz and I both like ours a little more medium than well)   WIN ~ WIN ~ WIN.  If you eat Paleo.. hell if you eat, make this one!

Ingredients:
Process:
  1. Preheat your grill to medium-medium high heat
  2. Put your ground beef in a large mixing bowl with your black pepper, 1 Tbsp of your sea salt, and your zest of one lemon
  3. Mix well and then using your hands form into thin patties all the same size, you need them thin because you will be using two of them to make one patty
  4. In another mixing bowl combine your avocados, sun dried tomatoes, lemon juice, and the remaining tbsp of sea salt and mash and mix well to get as smooth as you like
  5. Place your avocado mixture on the bottoms of half of the burgers ensuring you leave room to seal the burgers without it leaking out
  6. Put your other patty over the top of your mixture and pinch the edges of your burgers together to seal all the way around
  7. Now go out and grill to your liking. I normally do about 6-8 Minutes per side on my grill but yours may be different. Ensure you cook evenly on both sides of the burger or you will end up with an undercooked and an overcooked side
  8. While grilling, I drizzle my burgers with bacon grease and it adds an amazing flavor
  9. When done grilling, allow your burgers to rest for 10 minutes and then serve. You can use the rest of your avocado mixture to top your burgers with and go to town
  Recipe and photo were taken from this fantastic website!  Please check it out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment